The Palace: Bishop’s Palace

  • Lichfield, Staffordshire
  • OSGB – SK 1156 0985


Medieval Bishops Palace.


1295                              First recorded.

1299                              Licence to crenellate granted.

13th-14th C                     Defensive wall added by Bishop Walter de Langton.

1306                              Bishop Langton was granted a licence to crenellate.

1317                              Called a castle.

1348                              Licence to crenellate granted.

1523                              Licence to crenellate granted.

1642-1651                     Destroyed during the Civil War.

1687                              New building constructed on the site.

1710                              St. Mary’s vicarage built using the remains of the old wall.

19th C                            Chapel.

1958                              Field Investigation.

1974                              Field Investigation.


error: Content is protected !!