Medieval fortified manor house.
12th C First recorded.
13th C Gatehouse.
1300 c: Curtain walls.
14th C Wall and moat.
1430-1540 Owned by the Harpur family. Their crest is above the gateway.
15th C Rebuilt by the Grubbere family.
1500 c: Gatehouse built onto thirteenth century gatehouse.
16th C Gatehouse. Middle: Held by the Leigh family.
1600 c: Windows and second floor added to the gatehouse.
1642 Fortified by Edward Leigh, MP, Parliamentarian.
1643 Prince Rupert took the Hall which was being held by Edward Leigh’s wife.
1644 Retaken by Parliament.
1830-1840 c: Partially demolished.
19th C House.