Fortified manor house built on the site of a fourteenth century castle and incorporates the original Pele tower into the north front.
14th C Built.
1450 Altered and extended.
1558 Altered and extended for Elizabeth (Bess) Hardwick by William de Sutton.
1558 c: Bess of Hardwick and Sir William St. Loe, her third husband, added the north wing.
1608 Bess of Hardwick died and her son, Charles Cavendish inherited.
1650-1700 c: Owned by Richard Jones and his son, Sir William Jones, Attorney General of England.
1700 c: Altered and extended.
18th C Battlements added to the pele tower.
1858-1860 Restored by T. H. Wyatt.
1800 c: Owned by the Strachey family.
1965 Field Investigation.
20th C Apartments.