Medieval motte and bailey enclosure castle. Had inner and outer baileys surrounded by wet moats and a curtain wall. The gatehouse was to the east.
Once owned by Robert Fitz Paine.
1090 First mentioned. Owned by the de Courcy family.
11th-12th C Built.
1166 Held by William de Curci (III), Lord of Stogursey
1171 William de Curci (III), Lord of Stogursey, died and his son, William de Curci (IV), inherited.
1189 William de Curci (IV) took possession of the castle.
1194 William de Curci (IV) died without issue.
1215 Held for King John.
1216 Before: Alice de Courcy, sister to William de Curci (IV), had married Warin Fitz Gerald and forfeited the Honour.
1216 Orders were given for the castle to be destroyed, but they were not carried out.
1216-1272 During: Fawkes de Breauté held the castle through his wife, Alice de Courcy’s Daughter.
1224 Fawke rebelled against the King and the constable was ordered to surrender the castle to the Sheriff. Joan, daughter of Alice de Courcy, claimed half the Honour.
1228 Joan’s husband, Hugh de Neville, owned the lands. Orders were again given to destroy the castle.
1233 Henry III ordered Hugh de Neville to fortify the castle.
1246 Hugh de Neville’s son, John, Died.
1256 Hugh de Neville (2) fortified the lands due to a rebellion.
1266 Hugh de Neville (2) surrendered the castle and Henry III gave it to Robert Walerand.
1266-1297 Between: Held by Ames of Savoy; held by Thomas Button, Archbishop of Wells; Queen Eleanor.
1269 Hugh de Neville died.
1272-1307 During: Passed to Sir Robert Fitz Paine.
13th C Towers.
1301 c: Robert Walerand died and the castle was held by the Crown.
1304 The Constable was ordered to repair the bridges.
1308 Edward II granted custody to Robert Fitz Payn (III)
1315 Robert Fitz Payn (III) died.
1354 Robert Fitz Payn (IV) died. His wife, Ela, and daughter, Isabel, held the castle.
1394 Isabel married Richard Poynings, Lord Poynings.
14th C Curtain wall possibly rebuilt.
1446 Robert, Lord Poynings died and Eleanor, his granddaughter, wife of Richard Percy, Earl of Northumberland, held the lands.
1457/9 Wars of the Roses: Burnt down and was never repaired.
1484 Eleanor died and her son, Henry, held the lands.
1489 Henry died and his son, Henry Algernon held the lands.
1490’s New tower built and two towers re-roofed.
1519 Repairs carried out.
1527 Henry Algernon died and his son, Henry, inherited.
1530 Until: A Constable was paid.
1537 Henry died and the lands were gifted to the Crown, who granted them to Sir Richard Gresham, then Henry Courtney, Marquess of Exeter.
1538 In decay.
1541 Granted to Queen Catherine Howard.
1542 Granted to Queen Catherine Parr.
1548 Queen Catherine Parr died and it passed to Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset.
1552 Went back to the Crown.
1553 Given to Edward Courtney, Earl of Devon.
1557 Held by Thomas Percy.
1572 Thomas died and it was inherited by Henry Percy.
1585 Henry Percy died and it was inherited by his son, Henry Percy.
16th C In a bad state of repair.
1614 Before: The gatehouse was built on to, to form a farm house.
1632 Henry died and his son, Algernon inherited.
1668 Algernon died and it was inherited by his son, Joceline.
1670 Joceline died.
1681 The lands were sold off in pieces.
1684 Farmhouse still lived in.
17th C House built into two of the drum towers.
1724 Owned by John Willis of Goathurst.
1733 Print shows towers and walls remained.
1761 John Willis died and he left it to George Davis.
1786 George Davis died and it was inherited by his son William.
1820 William Davis sold it to Sir Peregrine Acland.
1878 c; Farm house rebuilt.
19th C South wall rebuilt.
1952 Sold by Lord St. Audries.
1964 Field Investigation.
1975 Field Investigation.
1981 The Landmark Trust renovated and repaired the Gatehouse.
1982-1984 Watching Brief by Western Archaeological Trust.
1990 Aerial photograph.
20th C Some of the curtain wall remains.
2003 22nd December: Scheduled.