Oval Medieval motte castle surrounded by a ditch and defended by a bank on the north and west sides. On the south and east sides a berm separates the natural slopes and ditch from the motte.
1068 Built by Robert de Mortain on land he exchanged with Athelney Abbey.
1069 Besieged unsuccessfully by the Saxons, against Norman rule, when Geoffrey, Bishop of Countances arrived.
1086 Besieged during a revolt.
1102 Chapel to St. Michael first recorded on the hill. No longer used in defensive capacity.
1104 Robert’s son gave the castle to the Clunic monks priory who lived nearby, and they used the stonework for building.
1246 Henry III granted a fair to be held on the site.
1518-1519 Two loads of stone were taken by the church wardens of Tintinhull.
1539 c: The fairs stopped.
1540-1546 Itinerary of John Leland: In ruins.
1630 Chapel last recorded.
1760 Folly built on the site.
1948 Aerial photograph.
1967 Field Investigation.
1975 Field Investigation.
1989 Summit excavated.
1994 Site given new monument number.
2000 Field Investigation.
2000-2001 Field Investigation.