Rough semi-circular Iron Age oppidium covering approximately 16 ha and defended by a bank and ditch, rectangular Roman vexillation fort covering approximately 50 acres, bivallate enclosure.
Civitas capital of the Durotringes.
Had three phases of development.
70’s c: Roman may have withdrawn and headed north.
1st-2nd C Late – Early: South Gate developed and used.
2nd C Town defences constructed.
2nd C Late: Stone gate tower of South Gate, clay rampart and a possible ditch constructed.
2nd-3rd C Defended by a bank and ditch and covering 25 acres. Clay bank enclosing 32 acres constructed.
3rd C Timber revetment added to the rampart with tie beams at right angles to upright posts.
3rd-4th C Main interior developed.
3rd – 4th C Late – early: Stone wall at South Gate and possible road built.
4th C Stone wall replaced timber at the front of the bank.
5th C In a state of decline.
973 Mint established on the site.
1066 Part of the estate held by Queen Edith.
1082 Mint on site.
1087-1088 Held off an attack by Robert Mowbray.
11th C Attacked.
1199-1216 During: Attacked by Peter de Mauley and Walerand de Tyeis, who took the gates to Sherborne Castle.
1200 West Gate mentioned.
12th-13th C Late-early: Roman wall dismantled and ditch filled at the South Gate. New stone wall built.
1242 East Gate mentioned.
1250 c: Mint continued until.
13th C Had four gates. East Gate was on Limington Road and North Gate was south of the bridge.
1304 North Gate mentioned.
1387 West Gate mentioned.
1426 East Gate still standing.
1557 West Gate mentioned.
16th C C; Wall dismantled at the South Gate.
1605 West Gate still visible.
19th C South Gate area became a garden.
1947 Aerial photograph of Iron Age oppidium.
1948-1950 Ivel House Lawn excavated.
1958 North Gate described as having been twin towered with a portcullis.
1966 No trace of the West Gate left.
1968 Church Street Car Park excavated by University of Wales, Cardiff Archaeology Department.
1969 Rescue excavation of the South Gate area which showed six phases of construction.
1969 Manor House Field excavated by University of Wales Cardiff Archaeology Department.
1970 High Street excavated by University of Wales Cardiff Archaeology Department.
1974 Kingshams Field excavated by Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset , Roman fort, Medieval boundary ditch and Roman town defences identified.
1975 Little Spittle Fields excavated by CRAGGS.
1977 Free Street excavated by Ilchester and District Archaeology Society. Roman wall identified.
1979 Watching Brief by CRAGGS.
1981 Watching Brief produced the possible Medieval town boundary on Priory Road.
1981 Aerial photograph of Iron Age oppidium.
1983 Castle Farm Geophysical Survey by Ancient Monuments Laboratory Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission.
1983-1984 Almshouse Lane Watching Brief by Western Archaeological Trust, Roman town defences, Roman building, Medieval building identified.
1984 West Street Watching Brief by Somerset County Council.
1984 Church Street Watching Brief.
1984-1985 Townsend Close excavated by Western Archaeological Trust – Iron Age oppidium and ditch identified.
1984-1985 Pill Bridge Lane Evaluated by Birmingham Field Archaeology Unit.
1985 Castle Farm evaluated by Birmingham Field Archaeology Unit.
1985 Excavated by Central Excavation Unit. Worberry Gate identified, Iron Age and Roman settlement.
1986 Watching Brief showed Medieval town defences.
1986 Town Hall Excavated by Somerset County Council.
1986-1987 Castle Farm and Pillbridge Lane Surveyed and Measured by Somerset County Council.
1986-1988 Dolphin Lane excavated by University of Durham, Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit.
1987 Watching Brief by Birmingham University Field Archaeological Unit, of Lyster Close revealed a section of the upper town ditch.
1987 Almshouse Lane excavated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit.
1987 Great Yard and Castle Farm evaluated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit.
1988 Almshouse Lane excavated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit.
1988 Northover House Evaluated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit.
1988 Iron Age oppidium scheduled.
1989 West Street and The Paddocks evaluated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit.
1989-1990 Surveyed and Measured by Somerset County Council.
1990 West Street, The Paddocks excavated by Birmingham University Archaeological Unit – Iron Age pit, Roman boundary ditch and Medieval settlement identified.
1990 West Street excavated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit
1993 Free Street excavated. Roman ditch recorded.
1994 Townsend Close evaluated Birmingham University Field Archaeological Unit, and part of what may have been and Iron Age enclosure and a Medieval rectilinear enclosure.
1995 Free Street evaluated b y AC Archaeology.
1995 Great Yard Field excavated by Bristol and Region Archaeological Service, showed a Roman ditch and settlement.
1995 West Street and The Paddocks Watching Brief.
1995 Townsend Close evaluated by Exeter Archaeology, and revealed pits and Roman ditches.
1997 Watching Brief at The Waggon House, West Street, Roman ditch.
1997 Ivel House excavated by Birmingham University Field Archaeological Unit, and revealed a rampart of the mid first century Roman fort.
1988-1989 Ilchester Sports Field Watching Brief by SSMR (Somerset Sites and Monuments Record)
20th C No remains left of the East Gate.
2000 6 West Street Watching Brief. Roman ditch identified.
2001 Northover Manor Hotel evaluated by Somerset County Museum, Taunton.
2002 Limington Road Car Park Watching Brief by Somerset County Museum, Taunton.
2002 Northover Manor Hotel Excavated by Somerset County Museum, Taunton.