Roman fort, Medieval motte and bailey castle. Motte and two baileys, moated. Defended by a bank, ditch and scarp. The keep was almost square with a cross wall.
Village named after the castle, and stone was taken and used for building materials.
11th-12th C c: Built.
1135-1154 During: Owned by Lord Lovell who held it against King Stephen.
1153 c: Destroyed.
12th C c: Ditch partially filled in.
12th C Late: Keep built of rubble with ashlar facing.
1327-1377 During: Passed to Lord St. Maur.
1468 Castle abandoned and manor house on site. Owned by John de Zouche.
1485 Until: Held by the Lords de Zouche.
1660-1685 Civil War: During: Used as a refuge following the Battle of Worcester.
1890 Excavated by Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Excavations revealed foundations of the keep, which are marked by stone piers.
1947 Aerial Photograph.
1966 Field Investigation.
1975 Field Investigation.
1977 Watching Brief.
1978 Watching Brief. Excavated by South East Somerset Archaeological Society.
1998 Evaluated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit.
1999 Excavated by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit. Roman limekiln and boundary ditches found.
20th C No remains.