Medieval motte and bailey. Sub-circular motte measuring 252.6ft by 203.4ft at its base and standing 16.4ft high with the ditch to the north, south and west measuring 39 – 49.2ft wide and up to 6.5ft deep. The bailey was to the east measuring 492ft by 288.7ft and raised to 3.3ft above the surrounding ground level. North of the bailey is a bank measuring 26.2ft wide and standing 1.6ft high.
Tower once stood on the motte.
Passed to Lords Bardolf.
1066 c: Possibly built by Hermer de Ferrers.
11th C Manorial complex fortified by Hermer de Ferrers.
12th C Reginald de Warenne modified it and turned it into a castle.
1971 Field Investigation.
1999 Surveyed and Measured.