Medieval fortified manor house of three storeys, and sub-rectangular moated site measuring 344.4ft by 259ft with the central island, raised, and measuring 278.8ft by 196.8ft. The moat measuring 32.8ft wide and 6.5m deep. The entrance is to the north in the wall with buttresses.
Ditches found below tower.
10th C Built on a Saxon settlement ; included ditches.
10th – 11th C Site occupied.
1130’s Hugh de Plais started building the house.
1180 c: Medieval hall house built.
12th C Fortified house.
13th C Moat added.
1390 c: Abandoned by the Howard family.
14th C Came into the possession of the Howard family.
1642-1651 Civil War: Attacked.
18th C c: Ice house.
1930’s Used as a training ground for unemployed men.
1972 Field Investigation.
1994 Geophysical Survey.
1999 Surveyed and Measured.