Medieval fortified house. Used as a Medieval Town Hall, Court of Justice, prison and received Port Dues. Was the centre of Medieval administration for the town and the borough court.
1150 c: Built.
13th C Built.
1362 Stephen de Stalham bequeathed it to his wife.
14th C Privately owned and leased to the town.
1552 Corporation property.
1776 Gaol visited by John Howard.
1808 Land next to the site was bought and the gaol extended.
1818-1824 Enlarged by Francis Stone.
1882 Town Hall built.
1883 New prison building demolished and original building left.
1980 Field Investigation.
1995 Architectural survey.