Coastal Battery/Artillery Fort built to defend the harbour in the north west part of the town. Included other buildings originally. Comprised of two flanking towers to a central gate, walling constructed of red brick, an earth platform and was supplied with cannon. The fort was located at the confluence of the Ouse and Fisher Fleet rivers.
Sections of the wall remain.
Named after the ancient St. Anne’s Chapel which stood nearby.
A Pilot office was added later.
1539 Thomas Cromwell’s Remembrance notes state that the town needed to be fortified.
1589 Recorded on map.
1625 Access was from the Fisher Fleet into the Battery. Twelve guns added as there were privateer raids happening.
1778 10 of the guns were replaced with 18 lb’ers.
1839 Decommissioned when replaced by outer town defences.
1887 Map shows a malthouse on the site.
19th C Water gate remains but is blocked up.