Medieval town gate, loopholed wall.
Had a permanent gatekeeper. Tolls were collected at the gate fro merchandise entering and leaving the city.
13th C Beginning of: Built.
1416 Repaired in stone.
1437 Rebuilt by Robert Hertanger.
1520 Restored and partially rebuilt by Nicholas and Thomas Harmer.
1744 Ditch in front of the gate.
19th C Altered. Pedestrian doorways added.
1978 Field Investigation.