Medieval moated Premonstratension Abbey, enclosed by a trapezoid-shaped wet moat with three entrances, a gatehouse and a ditch on three sides. There was a tower at the west end and cloistral buildings included Sacristy, Chapter House, parlour, dorter and sub-vault and warming house.
1195 Founded by Roger Fitz Roger of Clavering for the Premonstratension Order.
1233-1249 Hugh was Abbot.
1251 Simon was Abbot.
1267 Simon was Abbot.
1276 A letter of the Abbot, Richard, states the appropriation of the churches of the Holy trinity, London; St. Gregory, Heckingham; St. Botolph, Limpenhoe; St. Mary, Rushall; St. Margaret’s, Trickley; St. Mary, Kirkby and St. Helen, Ranworth. Thomas Kerdeston was buried in the Abbey church.
1279 The Abbot was given the advowson of the church of Bodham.
1291 The annual income was put at £178 5s ¾d.
1306 10th December: The Abbot of Langley was investigated by Walter de Norwich under the Kings orders, for the amount of money the Abbey had given to the king.
1316 Geoffrey was Abbot.
1317 Servant to the King, Robert de Maners retired to the Abbey.
1328 Margaret, wife of Sir William Kerdeston, was buried in the Abbey church.
1337 Sir Roger Kerdeston was buried in the Abbey church.
1338 The church of Thowton gave their advowson to the Abbey.
1340 John de Strumpeshagh was Abbot.
1346 A licence to add a belfry was granted.
1350 William was Abbot.
1368 Geoffrey was Abbot.
1375 Peter was Abbot.
1392 John de Norwich was Abbot.
1399 John Walsham was Abbot.
1422 John Waterden was Abbot.
1428 Nicholas de Wenyngton was Abbot.
1463 Nicholas de Wenyngton was Abbot.
1467 Nicholas Wamerton was Abbot.
1475 Visited by Bishop Redman.
1478 Visited by Bishop Redman – Thomas Russell was found guilty of ‘evil living’ and was only permitted bread and water for 40 days. Nicholas Wamerton was Abbot.
1482 Visited by Bishop Redman – Abbott John Myntynge was found guilty ‘of waste’ and was temporarily stripped of his powers.
1488 Walter Alphe was Abbot.
1491 Visited by Bishop Redman – Cannon Thomas Ludham was sentenced to 40 days imprisonment for cutting off a mans right hand during a quarrel.
1494 Visited by Bishop Redman.
1497 Visited by Bishop Redman.
1500 Visited by Bishop Redman – William Curlew was appointed Abbot.
1502 William Curlew resigned as Abbot due to some irregularities and o the 10th December, Robert, Abbot of Alnwick, gave Richard, Bishop of Ely, permission to elect a new Abbot.
1503 John Maxe was Abbot.
1513 John was Abbot.
1516 Robert Walkington was Abbot.
1517 Robert Walkington was Abbot.
1534 The annual value of the Abbey was put at £104 16s 5½d.
1536 Dissolved. Revenue was put at £128 19s 9d and the site was granted to John Berney, Esq..
18th C Farmhouse.
1816 The church was repaired by the Beauchamp family.
1854 Used as a farmhouse and owned by Edward Thwaites.
1971 Field Investigation.
1994 c: Moat cleaned.
1996 Surveyed and Measured.
20th C Remaining buildings include stables, part of the gatehouse, cellarium, Chapter House west and north walls and the south east corner of the Infirmary. The stables and Cellarium used as farm buildings.