Medieval fortified manor house, castle, moat which had corner bastions. The island measuring 160ft square and the moat measuring 36-45ft wide. There were towers at the corners measuring 35ft in diameter.
Built on the site of Bacons Castle, which measured 131.2ft square with towers 36ft in diameter, owned by the de Stuteville family.
Owned by the Paston family.
1318 Licence to crenellate granted to Sir Edmund Bacon
1319 Licenced and built by Sir Edmund Bacon.
1427 Bought by William Paston.
1448 William, Lord Moylens seized the castle. He had disagreed with Paston’s right to the castle, entered it and collected rents from the tenants.
1448 End: Paston reclaimed the castle, but three months later Moylens took it back by force, breaking the doors and mining the walls, leaving little of it remaining.
1449 Paston retook the castle but it was not fit to live in.
1450 While Sir William Paston was away the castle was captured and vandalized by Lord Moylens following a dispute over ownership.
1844 Timber drawbridge found when the moat was cleared, and an underground passage was found.
1471 Sir John’s son, Sir John made plans to rebuild the castle.
1969 Field Investigation.