Rectangular double moated enclosure castle. The moat mostly filled in. Great Tower standing 98ft high, cylindrical in shape of 5 storeys with gun ports. An hexagonal turret joins the tower with gun ports around the top. Surrounded by wet moats with a drawbridge on the north side.
1378 John Falstaff was born in the manor hose that was on the site before the castle was built.
1432 Work started on the castle and lasted for 10-15 years. Built for Sir John Fastolf.
1458 Guns were fired out of the gun ports to ward off the French.
1459 Went to the Paston family upon the death of Sir John Fastolf, but was contested by the Duke of Norfolk who said that he had already purchased it. An inventory of the castle showed, under Sir John Falstaff, to have included £2643 in cash, 98oz of gold, 14,813oz of silver and over 200 gallons of red wine.
1468/9 The castle was seiged and considerably damaged when the Duke of Norfolk who sent 300 armed men to take the castle, which was being held by Paston’s youngest son. The castle fell when supplies ran out.
1476 The Duke of Norfolk died 6 years later and Edward IV let the Paston’s move back into their castle.
1569 Until: Paston’s youngest son lived at the castle when they then moved to a more comfortable home at Oxnead Hall. The castle was left to decay.
1659 The Paston family sold it to a London money lender, to pay off debts.
1780 Staircase removed and taken to a mansion being built by Rev. Daniel Collyer, at Wroxham.
18th C Mostly demolished.
1830’s Outer buildings turned into Caister Hill.
1881 Gold betrothal ring found in the moat.
1950’s Post Medieval jug found.
2009-2010 Watching Brief.