Trapezoid shaped Roman fort, Saxon shore fort measuring approximately 672.5ft by 328ft and the standing walls measuring approximately 9.8ft wide at the base and standing 13 – 19.6ft high. The walls were 10ft thick and made of split flint and interlaced with tiles, they had flanking horse-shoe bastions and gates plus a postern. The north east corner had timber buildings which included the barrack block.
*` Castle was built in the north west corner of the site.
3rdC Late: Built.
4th C Walls built. Occupied by a unit of the Stablesian cavalry
4th C Middle c: Occupied until.
633 Monastery on site was founded by St. Fursey of Ireland on the land given to the East Angles by King Sighebert. It comprised of circular timber buildings measuring between 16 – 26 ft.
7th C Site on a monastery.
11th-12th C Late – early: Castle built with a motte surrounded by a ditch. The ditch measured 59ft wide and 13ft deep and enclosed an area of 236.2ft by 173.8ft. The tower was constructed in timber and the fort was used as the bailey.
1770 The Norman motte was partially removed.
1839 The motte was levelled and the ditch was filled in.
1850-1855 Excavated by H. Harrod, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society. 1930 Excavated by P.E. Rumblelow, Ministry of Works.
1972 Field Investigation.
1997 Watching Brief.
20th C Three of the walls were still standing.