Scheduled Monument – Monument Number 322844
Grade II Listed Building
Medieval fortified house, hunting lodge, moat, chapel, defended by a system of banks and ditches. Earthworks measuring 360 ft in diameter with the moat measuring 9 ft deep which defended the south and east sides, with a bank. The north is defended by a bank and a stream gives a natural defence to the north, north east and north west of the site, and the south is defended by a series of banks and ditches.
Park on site created by Earl John, later King John.
1193-1194 Fortified and used as a castle.
1194 Mentioned in the Pipe Rolls.
1210-1211 Replaced with a new lodge and chapel costing £575 and built by Brian de Insula.
1212 Work carried out.
1214 Work carried out. Mentioned as a fortified camp/castle.
1215 Chapel mentioned.
1217 After: Lodge abandoned.
1259 Granted to Simon de Montfort.
17th C House built on the site.
18th C Alterations.
19th C Alterations.
1962 South west ditch filled in.
1962 Field Investigation.
1974 Field Investigation.
1993 Watching Brief by John Samuels Archaeological Consultancy.