Blackfriar’s Gate, Canterbury.

Blackfriar’s Gate Canterbury


  • Canterbury, Kent.

Medieval gate located on St. Peter’s Street. The entrance width measured 2.6m wide.


1236                   Blackfriar’s Monastery founded.

c.1356/7            Built.

1787                 Demolished.

1984                 Watching Brief.

1987                 Excavated.


References & Bibliography.

Bennet. P. 2018. Blackfriar’s Gate. Available at

Canterbury Historical and Archaeological Society. Blackfriars. Available at

Cross. F. W., & Hall. J. R. 1882. Rambles Round Old Canterbury. Cross & Jackman.

Hastead. E. 1801. The History of the city of Canterbury and of the Cathedral and Priory of Christ-Church, and of the Archbishopric; with the lives of the Archbishops and dignitaries of that church: of the Archdeaconry, with the lives of the archdeacons of the Diocese, and of the Monastery of St. Augustine, etc, Volume 1. W. Bristow.

Summerly. F. 1843. Handbook for the City of Canterbury. Henry Ward.


error: Content is protected !!