Once held 2 x 16 inch 81ton Riffled Muzzle Loaders.
1872 Building commenced at a cost of £150,000. Designed by James Walker, with Edward Druce as the engineer.
1877 Larger guns were considered for the site.
1882 New guns were in place.
1883 Test firing commenced.
1885 Pier extended.
1886 21st April: The site was handed over to the Royal Navy after the firing of the new guns had been witnessed and approved.
1902 Decommissioned as no longer used.
1908-1909 Turret Battery built on top of fort.
20th C Some remains.