Medieval moated fortified house, motte and bailey castle.
Originally built by the de Bohun family. Moats filled in.
12th C Castle.
1201 Before: Geoffrey Fitz Piers possibly built the first castle.
1201 Visited by King John.
1213 Visited by King John.
1213-1217 Between: William Fitz Piers fortified the castle.
1221 Attacked unsuccessfully by the Earl of Albermarle.
1236 Constable on site.
1243 Constable on site.
1279 Described as a ‘fortalace’.
1322 Before: Held by Humphrey de Bohun.
1322 c: Held and garrisoned by the Crown.
1326 Visited by Edward II when visiting his nephew, John, Earl of Hereford.
1334 Visited by Edward III.
1463 Lead roof repaired.
1480 Before: Anne, Duchess of Buckingham, possibly rebuilt the inner court.
1520’s Owned by the Wingfield family.
1521 Described as having a moat.
1522 Henry VIII gave it to Sir Richard Wingfield.
1523 Henry VIII allowed Sir Richard Wingfield to take material from Higham Ferrers Castle for repairs.
1536 January: Catherine of Aragon died at the castle after being there for 4 years as a prisoner.
1540-1546 Itinerary of John Leland: Normal use.
16th C Rebuilt as a Tudor mansion.
1615 Bought by Sir Henry Montagu.
1642 Inventories taken.
1687 Inventories taken.
1690-1720 Charles Edward Montagu, 4th Earl of Manchester, reconstructed it.
17th C Gatehouse.
1707-1710 Remodelled by Vanbrugh. New doors and windows added. The old south wing fell down and it was rebuilt. The Queen’s rooms were modernised and a main staircase was constructed.
1766 Gatehouse built by Robert Adam.
1939-1945 World War II: Used by the Royal Army Medical Corps.
1950 Kimbolton School bought it from the 10th Duke of Manchester.
1977 Field Investigation.