Medieval motte and bailey castle with the oval motte measuring 183.7ft by 131.2ft and standing 13.7ft high.
Ancient seat of the Jeffrey family.
12th C Castle.
1207 Fortified and given to Thomas de Galweya by King John.
1207 Mentioned. Thomas de Galweya was ordered by King John to give the castle to William de Cantelow.
1248 William de Mortimer was born at the castle.
1275 Returned to the King as capital.
1375 Returned to the King as capital.
1605 Mostly burnt down.
1637 Medieval hoard of gold and silver found on the site.
1642-1651 Civil War: Mrs. Joyce Jeffreys took refuge at the castle from Parliament.
1645 12th July: Visited by General Gilbert Gerrard, Governor of Worcester.
1646 Slighted under orders of Cromwell for Parliament.
1677-1680 Rebuilt by Henry Jeffrey.
1759 In ruins.
1822 Owned by the Winnington family.
1887 House built on the site.