Medieval motte and bailey castle. The bailey to the east was surrounded by a curtain wall.
100 Picts were sent to ‘tear down the walls’.
A house was built within the earthworks.
655 Before: Part of the lands seized by Pedda
770 King Offa of Mercia was born on the site of the original castle.
c.851 Bertulph, King of Mercia, had his palace on the site.
1067-1099 c: Motte constructed.
1136 Built by Roger de Valoignes with a timber tower.
1174 c: Walls pulled down and motte quarried or levelled.
1177 Henry II ordered it to be demolished but the orders may not have been carried out.
1184 Robert died and it passed to his daughter, Gunnara.
1192 In use.
1193 Justicar William Longchamps garrisoned the castle against Prince John for 50 days.
12 C Stone tower built. The motte was surrounded by a dry moat. The keep measured 44 ft by 41 ft externally with flint and ashlar walls of 7-8 ft thick.
1212-1213 Robert FitzWalker was banished and the castle fell into ruin.
1832 Folly designed and built by George Proctor on the site in the shape and design of a twin towered gatehouse using original materials from the castle.
1971 Field Investigation.
1990 Field Investigation.
20 C Gardens open to the public.