Medieval motte and bailey castle. The motte measuring 40 m diameter and standing 6 m high, it is separated from the bailey by a ditch measuring 10 m wide and 2 m deep. The bailey measuring 40 m by 30 m and the inner rampart measuring 4.5 m high and 12 m wide.
* May have been some Roman occupation on the site.
1360 Held by John Oldcastle.
1428 Sir John Oldcastle’s son, Henry, had the castle and lands reinstated to him after they had been confiscated by the Crown.
17 C The ruins were still visible.