Earthwork enclosure with an additional bailey. Moat surrounded the motte which measured 20 m in diameter and standing 2 m high. The moat varies from 16 m wide in the south east up to 26 m in the north west with the depth between 1 m – 3 m. The inner bailey measuring 50 m by 30 m with a bank on the north west side measuring 10 m wide and 1 m high.
Owned by the Thynne family, then it was purchased by the Cheese family.
1043-66 c: During: Held by Earl Harold.
1086 Domesday: Held by Robert de Lacy.
11 C Late: Possibly built by the de Lacy family.
11-12 C Castle.
1188 Possibly one of John d’Evreux’s castle’s
12-13 C The keep, curtain wall and outer bailey were added.
1216-1272 Between: Sir Stephen d’Ebroicis owned the castle and land.
1220-1227 A circular keep is believed to have been built on the site by Stephen Devereux.
1272-1307 Between: William Touchet held the land and he was granted a licence for a weekly market.
* Passed by marriage to John de Vere, Earl of Oxford.
13 C c: Cylindrical tower built on a low platform and a stone curtain surrounded the enclosure.
1386-1388 Held by Sir Simon Burley who was executed.
1388 The castle passed to John Devereux.
1391 John Devereux had the Hall built and the gatehouse rebuilt. John Brown of Hereford was employed as the mason.
1391-1406 Between: John Devereux died and his daughter, who inherited, married Walter, 5th Baron Fitz Walter
1404 Refortified against Owain Glyndwr’s rebellion under orders of Henry IV.
15th C – 1641 Owned by the Devereux family.
1540-1546 Itinerary of John Leland: Once owned by the Marburyes, Lords of Lyonshall
18-19 C Extensively landscaped.
1971 Field Investigation.
20 C Remains found near the church. Some stone walling and the moat remains. Very overgrown.