Iron Age hill fort. Medieval motte and bailey castle.
Had three phases of construction.
Possibly the northern outpost for the Dobunni tribe.
Finds include Iron Age and Roman pottery sherds, 118 hut platforms of which some diameters are 15.2m.
Tradition states that the ancient British Chieftain, Caractacus made his last stand against the Romans on the site.
3 C BC First construction phase: Single stone revetted rampart and ditch enclosing 8 acres. Oval shaped and sitting at the centre of the ridge. Entrances to the north east and south west
800 BC-500 BC Early Iron Age: Possibly: Single rampart and ditch with counterscarp bank built around the 1000ft contour line, enclosing the original camp giving 5 acres to the north and 9 acres to the south.
500 BC – 60 Middle to late Iron Age: Four entrances were added with three of them being to the south.
3 C Before: Believed to have been built as a fortified border post.
12 C Site occupied. Normans built a motte and bailey castle on the site and the Iron Age defences were used to form an outer bailey. The motte stood 340m.
1405 The castle was attacked by the forces of Owain Glyndwr.
1940-1941 World War II: Defended.
1967 Field Investigation.
1971 Field Investigation.
2006 New path created.