Medieval castle within a rectangular enclosure. Oval mound measuring approximately 10.8 m in diameter at its base and standing 4.3 m high. A wet moat encloses an area of 1.25 acres and is partially filled in. Stood in a forest. Originally had a triple moat and a strong dungeon.
1086 Fortified house owned by Roger de Lacy.
1183 Called a castle.
1216 recorded as being a castle.
1240 Passed to the de Bohuns.
1262 Christmas: Plundered by the Welsh.
1263 Roger Clifford captured the unpopular Savoyed Bishop of Hereford, Peter of Aigueblanche, and imprisoned him at the castle as well as the Sheriff of Gloucester.
1272 A licence was issued to William Baskerville to hold services in the castle chapel.
1272/7 Edward I confiscated the castle from the de Bohuns and gave it to Roger de Clifford, but this did not last long as the de Bohuns laid siege and retook it.
1284 Sir Walter de Baskerville died and his brother Richard, inherited.
1372 The castle passed back to the Crown when the Earldom of Hereford was dissolved and the de Bohuns had to give up the castle.
1374 In ruins.
1403 Henry IV ordered the castle to be refortified against attacks from Owain Glyndwr. Nichols Montgomery was placed in charge of the castle.
1448 Charges of adultery were bought against Sir John Baskerville, who was living at the castle with Joanna Bryan. Both were married to other people.
1536 Sir James Baskerville raised 100 men to help Henry VIII deal with an uprising.
1544 Sir James Baskerville raised men for Henry VIII to fight in France.
1603-1625 Sir Humphrey Baskerville sold off much of the estate.
1640 Thomas Baskerville , son of Sir Humphrey, married Francis Pember at the castle
1642-1646 Belonged to Sir Humphrey Baskerville.
1642-1656 Thomas Baskerville fathered eleven children. Most were baptized at the castle.
1645 November: Burnt down except for one of the gatehouses.
1647 Sir Humphrey Baskerville died.
1648 The Baskervilles were living in the gatehouse.
1670 The ruins of the gatehouse were being lived in by a member of the Baskerville family, in poverty.
1670-1680 Castle House was built within the bailey
1683 Sir Thomas Baskerville died and was succeeded by his son, Benhail.
1684 Benhail Baskerville died.
1684 The castle ruins were sold to William Barnesley, a lawyer from London
1684 After: Sold to Dr. Pettit, who sold it on to Mr. Perry.
* When Mr. Perry died W. Perry Herrick inherited the castle.
19 C Castle House/Castle Farm was owned by the Perry-Herrick family
1922 The old Castle House stopped holding the Court Leet and the Court Baron as Manorial Courts were abolished.
1990 Forty six sherds of pottery were found when a barn was converted into four apartments. Most of the pottery was Medieval and one piece of Roman pottery.
1990’s The Davies family sold the land.
1994 Watching Brief.
20 C Early: Sold to the Davies family.