Quadrangular double moated Medieval fortified residence. Had four octagonal towers.
1400-1432 Moated manor house.
1449 Licence to crenellate granted to Richard, Lord Beauchamp, High Treasurer of England.
1460 11th September: Licence to crenellate granted to Richard, Lord Beauchamp, High Treasurer of England. Curtain wall added, as well as castellation, gatehouse and interval towers.
1496 Passed from the Beauchamp family to the Reede family.
15 C Dating to: Tower. Owned by Sir Talbot of Grafton.
1540-1546 Itinerary of John Leland: Well maintained.
1600 c: Ghosts drive the Reede family away from the castle.
1642-1649 Fortified house.
1644 Taken by Parliament, led by Richard Hopton, when Thomas Cocks tried to hold out against them. Later was retaken by the Royalists and burnt.
1731 In ruins.
1779 One tower remaining.
18 C Mostly demolished.
1833-1866 The site was landscaped and a stone bridge was built across the moat.
1840 Weapons and cannon balls found in the moat when it was cleaned out.
1931 Most of the north tower remains.
1932 Repairs carried out by Royal Commission on Historic Monuments.
1990 Excavated by City of Hereford Archaeology Unit. Gatehouse.
1990-1991 Part of the tower collapsed.
2000 Surveyed by English Heritage.