Medieval motte and bailey castle defended by a ditch. The motte measuring 114.8 ft in diameter and 26.2 ft from the bottom of the ditch. The ditch measuring 26.2 ft wide and 4.2 – 8.2 ft deep. The bailey measuring 164 ft square and the surrounding ditch has been filled in on the northern side.
Traces of fishponds to the south west of the motte.
1086 Held by Roger de Lacy.
1154-1189 During: Mentioned as a ‘castallum’
1199-1216 During: Mentioned as a ‘castallum’.
12 C c: Built.
1216 William Cantilupe was Constable. Extant
1231 22nd September: Simon de Montfort paid homage to Henry III at the castle.
1242 Held by Roger Pychard.
1485-1509 During: One of the co-heiresses of Sir Simon Milbourne bought the castle as dowry to Thomas Monnington.
1670 Until: Held by the Monnington family.
1670 After: Passed to the Pember family.
* The Pember family sold it to the Foley family of Newport.