Scheduled Monument – Monument Number 315651
Grade II Listed Building
Medieval fortified manor house, moated, curtain wall. Had a round tower measuring 20 ft in diameter situated in the north west section of the building. The dry moat measuring 4.9 ft deep had a flat bottom and the bank at the north of the moat measuring 29.5 ft wide and standing 4.9 ft high. Part of the outer bank of the moat destroyed when a road was realigned.
1252 c: Held by Hugh fitz Ralph who died.
1340 c: Licence to crenellate granted to Nicholas de Cantelupe by Edward III. Afterwards was then called a castle.
17th C Held by Sir John Manners.
1700 Before: Destroyed.
1797 Only 1-2 walls survived.
19th C Late: Remains rebuilt upon.
19th-20th C Altered.
1933 Excavated by H. Green.
1959 Field Investigation.
1969 Watching Brief by Trent Valley Archaeological Rsearch Committee.
1975 Field Investigation.
21st C Beginning: Used as farm buildings.