Dalton Castle; Dalton Tower Timeline

 

Dalton, Cumbria

Peel Tower

 

Scheduled Monument

 

79 –                        Possible site of a castellum of Agricola, with possible remains of the outer bank and ditch located on the eastern side of the churchyard.

1066 –                  Owned by Tostig, Earl of Northumbria.

1127 –                    Possibly mentioned in the Foundation Charter of Furness Abbey. King Stephen granted Furness Abbey the authority to hold court in the town – possibly in a building on the site of the Tower.

1272-1307 –        Court held in Dalton on the 13th October each year, possibly at the Tower.

1314-1346 –         Possible date of construction. Scottish raids in the area began.

1322 –                   Believed to have been built following a raid by the Scots, led by Robert the Bruce, on the site of a previous stronghold.

1327-77 –             Edward III granted Free Warren to the monks at Furness Abbey, including Dalton.

1399-1413 –        Henry IV: There was a goal in the Tower for debtors.

14th C –                Mid: Built following incursions from the Scots.

1538 –                  The Tower became the property of the Crown at the Dissolution.

1544 –                  A Commission ordered that the Tower be repaired.

1545-46 –            In ruins. Repairs carried out under orders of Henry VIII following the Dissolution.

1631 –                 The plague hit Dalton – 360 deaths were recorded.

c.1644 –              Parliamentary prisoners were held in the Tower following a skirmish near Newton.

1704 –                 The wooden floors were replaced. Extensive alterations carried out.

1774 –                Up until: Used as a prison.

1784 –                Alterations made to the windows.

18th C –             An external access was cut through the wall at the base of the staircase.

1803 –               Another fair was allowed at Dalton on 28th April for cattle and job seekers.

1807 –               The Chief Lords of the area were the Duke of Buccleuch and Lord Beaulieu.

1816 –               Alterations made to the windows.

1845 –               New staircase added.

1850-51 –         The two buildings against the outside wall were removed and replaced by a single building.

1856 –              Up until: The middle storey was used as a courthouse. Two buildings were leaning against the outside wall.

1856 –              Repaired. One half of the ground floor was converted into a stable. Alterations were made to the height of the rooms converting the building from 3 storeys to 2 storeys. All of the windows were built up. New slate rook installed. The doorway access to the stairs was blocked up.

1885 –              The building against the outside wall was used by the Dalton Local Board.

1896 –              The building against the outside wall was removed.

1907 –              New roof installed. Upper rooms used by the local Masons.

1925 –              Up until: The local Court Leet was held in the Tower. They were abolished this year by the Law of Property Act.

1958 –              Field Investigation.

1965 –              Handed to the National Trust.

1968-69 –         After the Tower was granted to the National Trust by the Duke of Buccleuch, the building was restored.

20th C –             Late: Used as a local Museum.

2002 –             Scheduled Monument Notification.

 

 

References & Bibliography

Ansted. A. 1899. Pele Towers and Border Castles. The Artist: An Illustrated Monthly Record of Arts, Crafts and Industries (American Edition) , Sep., 1899, Vol. 25, No. 236 (Sep., 1899), pp. 186-199.

Beck. T. A. 1844. Annales Furnesienses: History and antiquities of the abbey of Furness. Payne and Foss Ulverston.

Colvin. H. M. 1968. Castles and Government in Tudor England. The English Historical Review, Apr., 1968, Vol. 83, No. 327 (Apr., 1968), pp. 225- 234.

Dalton Castle. Pastscape. Available at https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=38203

Farrer. W. & Brownbill, J. (eds). 1914. Victoria County History; Lancashire Vol. 8 p. 308-309.

Gaythorpe. H. 1910. ‘Dalton Castle’. Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, Vol. 10 p. 312-30

Kelly. P. V. 1928. Dalton Castle. Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, Vol. 29 p. 234-41.

King, D.J.C. 1983. Castellarium Anglicanum. Kraus.

Mackenzie, J.D. 1896. Castles of England; their story and structure. Macmillan.

Neilson. G. 1893. Peel: Its Meaning And Derivation. Transactions of the Glasgow Archaeological Society, 1893, New Series, Vol. 2, No. 2 (1893), pp. 121-153

O’Sullivan. M., & Downey. L. 2009. Tower-Houses and Associated Farming Systems. Archaeology Ireland, Summer, 2009, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Summer, 2009), pp. 34-37.

Parker. J. H., & Turner.T. H. (Ed). 1853. Some Account of Domestic Architecture in England From Edward I to Richard II. John Henry Parker, Oxford.

Phillips. G. 1999. Strategy and Its Limitations: The Anglo-Scots Wars, 1480–1550. War in History, November 1999, Vol. 6, No. 4 (November 1999), pp. 396-416.

West, T., 1805, Antiquities of Furness. Ulverston

 

 

 

error: Content is protected !!