Scheduled Monument – Monument Number 323083
Iron Age hill fort, Medieval hunting lodge, moat, motte, possible Roman camp, irregular shaped with an entrance
to the south east. Site has been quarried and is mostly leveled. The moat destroyed and part of the original earthworks.
On lands held by the Coritani people.
Finds include a coin of Alexander III of Scotland, green glazed Medieval pottery.
Held by Sir John de Hercy. He left it to his sister, Barbera, who had married George Neville, Esq.
1086 Held by Roger de Busli (Bully).
1086 After: Held by Gerbert (Guilbert) de Arches.
1154 c: Held by Baro de Grove.
1207 King John possibly stayed at the site.
1216-1272 During: Baro de Grove’s daughter and heiress married Malvesinus de Hercy.
1504 Believed to have been the Roman camp of either SEGELOCUM or AGELOCUM.
1684 Ploughed over and coins of Nerva, Trajon, Hadrian and Constantine were found.
17th C Sir Edward Neville sold it to Sir Cresswell Levinz.
1718 Two alters found on the site.
1762 William Levinz sold it to Anthony Eyre.
1933 c: Excavated.
1962 Field Investigation.
1974 Field Investigation.
1997 Watching Brief by Lindsey Archaeological Services.