Medieval moated site.
1632 Built on the site of a Medieval moated house for Thomas Chichley.
1640 Owned by Sir Thomas Chichley.
1686 Owned by Sir John Cutler.
1693 Owned by Charles Robartes, 2nd Earl of Radnor.
1693-1705 Grounds laid out by George London and Henry Wise.
1710 Owned by John Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle Upon Tyne, 4th Earl of Clare.
1711 Owned by Henrietta Holles.
1713 Owned by Edward Harley, 2nd Earl of Oxford.
1713-1721 Alterations by James Gibbs.
1720’s Grounds landscaped by Charles Bridgeman.
1721 Alterations by James Thornhill.
1740 Owned by Philip Yorke, 1st Earl of Hardwicke.
1740’s Grounds landscaped by Robert Greening.
1742 Alterations by Henry Flintcroft.
1749 c; Alterations by Henry Flintcroft.
1764 Owned by Philip Yorke, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke.
1767 Grounds landscaped by Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown.
1790 Owned by Philip Yorke, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke.
1790’s Alterations by John Soane.
18 C House. Later in the year, alterations undertaken by Henry Kendall.
1801-1809 Grounds landscaped by Humphrey Repton.
1834 Owned by Charles Yorke, 4th Earl of Hardwicke.
1840’s Alterations by HE Kendall.
1843 Queen Victoria and Prince Albert stayed for two days.
1873 Owned by Charles Yorke, 5th Earl of Hardwicke.
1894 Owned by Thomas Charles Agar-Roberts, 6th Viscount Clifton.
19 C Late; Alterations.
1919 Owned by Francis Gerard Agar-Roberts, 7th Viscount Clifton.
1938 Owned by Captain and Mrs George Bambridge.
1973 Field Investigation.
1976 Bequeathed to the National Trust by Mrs Elise Bambridge.