Late Iron Age univallate hillfort. Site encloses 15 acres. May have been a stronghold of the Iceni. Timber buildings existed on the site . Carriageway was built to the mansion through the original entrance.
Excavations of the interior have produced post holes for pits. Site produced black pottery. Bone combs found at the site. Many rubbish sites have been found. Pottery and skulls have been found on the site as well as a coin of Cunobelin and Roman coins.
5-4 C BC Pottery found on the site dates from.
400 BC First building phase took place. A simple box rampart 14ft wide and revetted both front and back with timber.
200 BC The statue of Magog was thought to have been cut.
1 C BC Fortified during stage three of building. New defences were added and an additional rampart ditch was added inside the existing one.
50 BC Statues found date from this period.
1 C The site may still have been occupied.
1730 c; The interior was walled in.
17-18 C Lord Goldolphin built a mansion and flattened the largest internal rampart and ditch. Roman coins were found whilst the cellars were being dug. The counterscarp bank was rounded down.
1725 c; Figures seen on the site were reported by an antiquity.
1730’s Owned by Francis, 2nd Earl of Goldolphin.
1805-1815 The interior was ploughed during the Napoleonic Wars.
1850’s Figures were reported to have been seen on the site from Sawston.
1865 Racing stables were built in the centre of the hillfort for James II. The inner rampart and ditch were levelled.
1939-1945 The interior was ploughed during the Second World War.
1950’s TC Lethbridge searched the site and uncovered part of Magog, a Goddess and plotted the existence of two other figures. That of a man with a sword and a sun god with a horse and chariot.
1955-1956 The mansion, Gog Magog House, was demolished.
1955 Excavated and showed two main Iron Age building phases.
1968 Field Investigation.
1975 Excavated by Cambridgeshire Archaeological Committee.
1982 Field Investigation.
1994-1995 Surveyed and Measured.
1994-1998 Excavated by Cambridge Archaeological Unit University of Cambridge.