The original house had a chapel with a bell, which was used to summon mass.
1231 Land granted to William le Bretton by Alice de Burgh.
1261 William de Burgh died and his son John inherited. He bought more land within the parish.
1307 John granted the lands to Edmund le Bretton.
1353 Held by Thomas le Bretton.
1389 Held by Robert, a clerk, and called Bretton’
14 C Dates from
1445 John Bateman, rector of Burrough was licensed to found a chantry. John Scalers, amongst others, endowed it with land.
15 – 16 C Possible buildings.
1548 Granted to Gilbert Claydon and Robert Bank.
1557 Gilbert Claydon sold it under license to Leonard Barrett.
1562 Leonard Barrett sold it to Thomas Holmes.
1582 Thomas Holmes sold it to Anthony Cage.
16 C Late; Chantry land was called Bretton’s Manor or Bateman’s Chantry.
17 C Buildings disappeared from the site.
1978 Field investigation.