Medieval moat, Sisters of St John Nunnery, Hospitallers Preceptory.
The last Preceptor was Thomas Dingley.
1159 The Hospitallers were pardoned 9s 11d for their part of a fine for a murder carried out by ten monks.
1180 c: Sisters of St John Nunnery moved to Buckland Abbey.
1199 Given by Sybil de Rames, daughter of Roger de Montgomery, to the Hospitallers. Two sisters were living there – Amabilis and Amice de Malketon.
1260 Before: Nicholas de Wrotham was Preceptor.
1296 William de St Leonard was Preceptor.
1303 William de St Leonard was Preceptor.
1338 Shingay was the fourth wealthiest Manor in the Order of England. Nicholas Bassett was Preceptor.
1371 The General Chapter of the Hospital in England met at Shingay. John de Dampford was Preceptor.
1378 Before; William Thweyt was Preceptor.
1381 Badly damaged during the Peasants Uprising. Was attacked and sacked by John Hanchach and other peasants. John Cavendish was Preceptor.
1417 Sir John Skipwith was Preceptor.
1422 The moat earthworks still survived. Sir John Skipwith died. Thomas de Skipwith was Preceptor.
1427-1452 Sir John Ergham was Preceptor.
1441 Sir John Ergham obtained a Papal Indict for a portable alter.
1452 Settlement removed.
1481-1502 Thomas Green was Preceptor.
1502-1504 Robert Dalison died.
1504 Sir Robert Dalison, a Preceptor from Shingay, died.
1507 Sir Thomas Sheffield was Preceptor.
1507-1524 Thomas Sheffield was Preceptor.
1507-1522 Also the Preceptory of Beverley.
1525 Thomas Dalison was steward of Shingay when Sir Thomas Shefield died.
1533 Sir Edward Hill was Commander of Shingay.
1536 Sir Edward Hill died and Ambrose Cave applied to be Preceptor.
1537 c: Ambrose Cave was appointed as Preceptor but never held the position.
1539 c: Sir Henry Longe was made Preceptor of Shingay
1541 Bishop Goodrich made provision for the Preceptory.
1643 Still standing.
1697 Buildings pulled down but the chapel remained.
1972 Filed Investigation.
1991 Surveyed and measured by Cambridge County Council Archaeology Section.