Medieval moated site and motte. The mound measuring 80 ft in diameter, 30-40 ft across at the top and standing 6 ft high with the ditch measuring 20-30 ft wide and wet. The causewayed entrance to the south west is 10 ft wide. There is another possible enclosure to the north and west with a bank measuring 15 ft wide and 1-2 ft high. The moat is enclosed by an irregular banked enclosure measuring approximately 541 ft by 698 ft.
11 -14 C Occupied.
1200 Owned by Henry.
1205 Henry of Boxworth held the site through marriage to Alice of Canington.
1223 c: Henry died.
1235 Henry was succeeded by his son, William of Boxworth.
1246-1254 William was Escheator of Cambridgeshire.
1268 c: William died.
1279 William’s widow, Amice, and her son, Henry, held the lands.
1296 Henry was knighted.
1302 Henry died and Parnell held the lands.
1316-1327 Henry’s son, William of Boxworth was Lord of the Manor.
1332 c: Passed to Henry’s son, Henry.
1372 After: Henry died.
1382 Held by Henry’s widow, Maud, as his son, William, had died without issue.
1374 Inherited by William’s sister, Alice.
1388 Owned by William Lovett, who had married Alice.
1408 William Lovett held the manor.
1428 William Lovett held the manor.
1438 Held by Roger’s widow, Isabel.
1468 Passed to Roger Lovett of Soulbury
1480 Referred to as Overhall.
1496 Roger Lovett sold it to trustees for Lady Margaret Beaufort.
1501 Archdeacon of Lincoln’s Chancery Clerk, Thomas Hutton, bought it for his brother, John.
1506 Thomas, John’s son, inherited the lands.
1552 Thomas died and it was inherited by his son, John.
1596 John died and left it to his second wife, Elizabeth.
1599 Elizabeth and her new husband, Sir William Hinde sold it to Sir John Cutts of Childerley.
1600 No building on site.
1650 Trees covered the site.
1900 c: Site discovered.