Manor Farmhouse: The Abingtons: Feugeres Manor

Church Lane

 

Medieval moat with a rectangular island measuring 150 m by 70 m.

 

1274                            House recorded on site.

1294                            John of Abington died and his son William, a minor, inherited.

1310                            William inherited.

1313                            William Abington sold it to Warin of Bassingbourn, Lord of Wimpole.

1323                            Warin died and was succeeded by his son, Warin (2).

1335                            Warin (2) was knighted.

1338-1348                   Warin (2) was Sheriff of Cambridgeshire.

1348                            Warin (2) died and his son, Warin (3) inherited

1358                            Warin (3) was knighted.

1368                            Warin (3) arranged to have the Trustees sell the Manor when he died.

1369                            Warin (3) died without issue and the house was recorded as being worthless.

1370                            The Manor was granted to three knights of the Court.

1372                            Owned by John Pecche, an alderman from London.

1380                            John Pecche died and his widow inherited the manor. She later married Sir William le Moyne.

1386                            Sir William Pecche, son of John, gave the Manor to trustees and it went to John Shadworth and William Ancroft.

1390                            Ancroft died and his share went to John Pigott, from Hitchin.

1428                            John Pigott held the manor on his own.

1465                            John Pigott died and his son, Thomas (1), inherited.

1472 -1473                  Thomas (1) Pigott was Sheriff.

1485                            Thomas (1), and his son, Henry, died and it passed to Henry’s son, Thomas (2), who was a minor, and it was occupied by William Cheyne.

1503                            Thomas (2) came of age.

1532                            Thomas (2) died and his son, Henry, inherited.

1543                            c; Remodeled by Henry Pigott.

1588                            Henry died and was succeeded by his son, John (1).

1588                            c; House built by Henry Pigott.

1613                            John (1) died and was succeeded by his son, John (2).

1617                            John (2) died and was succeeded by his son, John (3), who was nine years old.

1645                            John (3) backed the Royalist cause.

1648                            John (3) was fined for backing the Royalist cause.

1679                            John (3) died and his second son, Grando (1), inherited. The Manor comprised of a Hall, great parlour and gallery.

1680                            Turned into a farmhouse when Gando Pigott (1) moved.

17 C                            Enlarged.

  •                         Grando (1) was MP for Cambridgeshire.

1724                            Grando (1) died and his son, Grando (2) inherited.

1773                            Grando (2) left the manor and lived in Bath

1794                            Grando’s (2) son died in Flanders.

1802                            Grando (2) died and left it to his daughter, Mary. She had married Rev. William Foster, who took the name Pigott.

1816                            Mary died without issue.

1827                            Rev. William Foster-Pigott died and it passed to his niece, Mary, who was married to Lt. Col. George Edward Graham.

1858                            Mary died and her son, Rev. George Grando Graham-Foster-Pigott inherited.

1879                            Rev. George Grando Graham-Foster-Pigott died and his second son, William, inherited.

1898                            William died and it passed to his son, Thomas.

19 C                            Renovations.

1907                            c; Thomas died and it passed to his sister, Elizabeth Mildred, wife of Rev. Magens De Courcy-Ireland.

1937                            Montague George inherited the Manor.

1973                            Field Investigation.

1981                            Field Investigation.

20 C                            Renovations.

error: Content is protected !!