Scheduled Monument – Monument Number 368471
Medieval moated site.
1210 c: Held by Warin of Soham.
1242 Warin’s brother , Ralph, succeeded him and held the Manor.
1275 Held by Ralph’s widow, Basile.
1279 Basile had married Baldwin St. George.
1302 The lands were divided.
1341 Until: Was held by Thomas Scalers, who died this year and was succeeded by his second son, John, who was still a minor.
1388 Sir John Scalers died and his widow, Margaret, held the Manor. Margaret later married Sir John Heveningham.
1402 c: John came of age.
1407 John held the Manor.
1443 John died and was succeeded by his son, Sir John.
1467 Sir John died and his daughters inherited. Alice, wife of Sir John More; Margaret who married Henry Moyne; Anne, wife of John Harecourt. Alice received the lands at Whaddon.
1493 John Merle died and the lands went to their son’s son, John.
1508 John came of age and took possession.
1542 John died and was succeeded by his son, Thomas.
1560 Thomas settled his lands on his wife, Joyce.
1561 Thomas died.
1573 William bought Lylles Manor
1581 William Merle, John’s son, took possession of the lands.
1608 William died and his daughter, Elizabeth and her husband, William Tempest, succeeded him.
1621 Thomas Tempest, William’s son, purchased Turpin’s Manor.
1641 Thomas defied the law requiring him to go to church.
1648 Thomas died and his wife, Martha, inherited
1661 c: Lands sold to Sir Henry Pickering, a Parliamentarian.
1668 Sir Henry died and his son, Henry, a minor, succeeded him.
1705 Henry died in Barbados without issue and his widow, Grace, held the lands.
1716 Grace sold the lands to Edward Harley, Earl of Oxford.
1739 Sold to Philip Yorke, 1st Earl of Hardwicke.
1764 Phillip Yorke died and was succeeded by his son, Philip.
1790 Philip died and his nephew, Philip Yorke, inherited.
1834 Philip Yorke died and his nephew, Charles Philip Yorke, Earl of Hardwicke, inherited.
1873 Charles Philip Yorke, Earl of Hardwicke, died and his son, Charles Philip Yorke inherited.
1891 Leased out.
1914 Charles Philip Yorke sold to Cambridgeshire County Council.
1973 Field Investigation.