Medieval oval moated settlement. Built over.
The site was occupied during late Saxon and early Norman periods.
10 C Dating from.
1216-1272 During: Occupied.
1265 Manor lands divided between the daughters of Nicholas le Vavasour – Agnes, wife of Roger Thornton; Amfelice, wife of Philip St. Clowe.
1266 The daughters swapped their lands around.
1299-1302 Agnes’ daughter, Eleanor, was tenant of the lands.
1312 By: Eleanor had married Ralph, son of William Fitz Ralph of Shepreth.
1323 Ralph held the lands.
1323 After: Ralph’s son, Richard, then Richard’s son, John, held the lands.
1346 William de la March was guardian of John’s lands whilst he was a minor.
1348 John, a minor, died.
1350 The lands were divided between John’s three sisters, with the Meldreth land going to Elizabeth, wife of Edmund Flambard.
1394 Elizabeth Flambard died and her daughter, Eleanor, wife of Walter Tyrell, inherited the lands.
1428 Held by Eleanor and Walter Tyrell’s younger son, Edward and was then left to his nephew, Thomas Tyrell.
1447 Held by Thomas Tyrell.
1477 Sir Thomas Tyrell (1) died and the lands were inherited by his grandson, Sir Thomas (2).
1540 Sir Thomas (2) died and the lands were inherited by his son, Thomas (3) and then by his son, John.
1542 Lands held in dower by John’s widow, Anne, who then married Sir William Petre, a politician.
1574 John Tyrell gave Flambards to Anne,
1582 Anne died and it went to her son John, later Lord Petre.
1613 John, Lord Petre, died and the lands were inherited by his son, William.
1637 William died and it passed to his younger son, John.
1691 John’s widow, Elizabeth, was Lady of the Manor.
1695 Held by John’s nephew, Edward.
1706 Passed to Edward’s daughter, Elizabeth and her husband, Roger Dickinson.
1712 Roger Dickinson gave the lands to Samuel Coxall and John Browne.
1782 Edward Nightingale was Lord of Flambards.
1798 House recorded on the site.
1820 Mr. CE Nightingale sold the site to WM Underwood.
1897 The land was up for sale.
1906 Henry Cooke and Arthur Dove were Lords.
1934 Excavated by Cambridge Antiquarian Society.
1972 Field Investigation.
1975 Housing estate built over the site.