Motte measuring 250ft in diameter at the base, 50ft diameter at the summit and standing 40ft high. There was a four sided bailey which measured 300ft by 250ft and was defended by a bank and ditch.
1070 c: Motte castle constructed under orders of William the Conqueror whilst trying to subdue Hereward the Wake.
1140 Re-fortified and taken by King Stephen.
1143 Taken by Geoffrey de Mandeville.
1144 Held by Geoffrey de Mandeville.
1216 Falke de Breauté took the castle.
1229 Windmill recorded on the mound.
1251 A dwelling is recorded on the mound.
1268 Captured by Prince Edward.
13 C Windmill noted as being on the site.
1586-87 £5 was spent on the castle.
1610 Windmill was on the site.
1649 Known as Mill Hill.
1779 A monumental pillar was built on the site dedicated to Rev James Bentham, historian.
1821 Site called cherry Hill.
1969 Field Investigation.
20 C The only remains are a mound in Cathedral Park.