Crowland’s Manor: Tenison Manor

  • Cottenham, Cambridgeshire
  • Scheduled Monument
  • Monument Number 1113392, & 371871

 

*                                  Medieval enclosure, Medieval fortified house, boundary ditch. Rectangular island measuring 36.5m by 42.5m.

1032                            Built by Abbot Bribtmor.

12 C                            Early: Given to Crowland Abbey, Lincolnshire, by Thureytel.

1267-1268                   Mentioned.

1450’s                         Rebuilt and included a Hall, kitchen, bake house and granary.

1563                            Sold by the Crown to Francis Hinde of Madlingley.

1578                            Francis Hinde was knighted.

1596                            Francis Hinde died and his son, William, inherited.

1603                            William Hinde was knighted.

1609                            William Hinde died and his widow, Elizabeth held it.

1615                            William Hinde’s son and heir, William, sold the Manor to Thomas Hobson.

1625                            Elizabeth died and Thomas Hobson took possession.

1631                            Dated: Hobson left the Manor to his grandson, Thomas Hobson.

1667                            Thomas Hobson died and his widow, Catherine, held the Manor.

17 C                            Farmhouse.

1703                            Catherine died and left it to her daughter, Catherine Winde, whose lands were then given to her daughter, Alice, due to Catherine’s  instability of mind. Alice was the wife of John Dacres.

1704                            John Dacres died.

1721                            Alice took over the Manor when her mother died.

1728                            Alice left the Manor to the antiquary, Roger Gale.

1731                            The smaller moat was used as a garden.

1737                            Roger Gale sold it to Edward Snagge.

1739                            Edward Snagge died and his cousin George Snagge held the Manor.

1753                            George Snagge died and his widow, Anne, held it.

1770                            Anne died and the lands were divided between Anne’s sister Mary Mart, Anne’s nephews Richard and Thomas, and niece, Anne Bachus.

1837                            The lands were sold and spit up five ways.

19 C                            Extended.

1971                            Field Investigation.

1987                            The seventeenth century farmhouse was still standing.

1990’s                         Geophysical Survey.

1993                            Evaluation by Cambridge Archaeological Unit, University of Cambridge.

1996-1997                   Excavated by Cambridge Archaeological Unit, University of Cambridge.

20C                             Extended. A larger moat measuring 114.5m by 76m to the north, was destroyed.

 

error: Content is protected !!