Medieval moat covering 14 acres.
11 C Occupied.
1266 Burnt by followers of Simon de Montfort.
1267-1268 New Hall was built.
1543 Sold to Thomas Hutton after the Dissolution.
1552 Thomas Hutton died and his son, John Hutton, inherited his lands and then gave them all to his wife, Elizabeth.
1560’s Rebuilt by John Hutton slightly to the east of the Old Hall. A stone walled courtyard to the north and gardens to the east.
1565-1580 John Hutton blocked off surrounding closes to build his stone walled courtyard.
1590’s Timber framed buildings were reconstructed.
1596 John Hutton died and his wife held his properties.
1597 Elizabeth Hutton married Sir William Hinde.
1609 Elizabeth Hutton married Sir Arthur Capell.
1620’s The buildings were remodeled in brick.
1626 Elizabeth Hutton died without issue and the property passed to her brother Robert Lawrence of Brockdish.
1637 Robert Lawrence died and it was inherited by his eldest son William.
1649 William Lawrence died without issue and it was inherited by his young brother Aslack Lawrence.
1652 Aslack Lawrence sold it to Anne, widow of Sir John Cutts.
1658 Anne died and it went to her son, John Cutts.
1670 John Cutts died and it went to Anne Cutts brother, Humphrey Weld, of Lolworth Castle. The house included a Hall, parlour, dining room, 6 chambers and approximately 18 hearths.
1674 Owned by Humphrey Weld who remodeled it.
1678 Rebuilt and faced in red brick by Humphrey Weld. Had three storey’s, the front to the north, had six bays and a short wing on the south side. A statue stood on each side of the north approach, and there were stables and barns to the east.
1730’s Occasionally lived in by the Dukes of Bedford.
1685 Humphrey Weld died with lots of debt and the Manor and it was bought out by the mortgagees, the senior most being Tom Howland.
1686 John Howland died.
1689 John Howland’s widow, Elizabeth, was Lady of the Manor.
1695 Elizabeth and John Howland’s daughter, Elizabeth, married Wriothesley Russell, Duke of Bedford.
1724 Elizabeth died.
1730’s Kept as a Great House for occasional visits.
1750’s Abandoned, decaying and in ruins and used by tenant farmers.
1817 Demolished and materials used to build Scotland Farm.
1831 The staircase and paneling were for sale.
19 C Described as ‘Gothic’. Had four parlours and six or seven bedrooms.
1973 Field Investigation.
1979 Excavated by Cambridge University Archaeology Field Club.