Medieval castle, moated platform. Platform and ditch remain. Traces of an outer wall are still visible, plus the footing of a round tower. Platform was rectangular and measured 45m by 38m. The ditch measuring 25m wide and 8m deep. The entrance was at the centre of the north side.
1341 A license to crenellate was granted to Sir John de Pulteney.
1342 Castle built when licensed to do so by Sir John de Pulteney.
1367 Sir John de Pulteney died.
1510 c: Robert Cotton created a park of 12 acres on the castle grounds. Possibly abandoned soon after.
17 C Early: The walls and tower were still standing.
1968 Field Investigation.
1990’s Footings of the gateway remained.
1998 Desk Based Assessment, Heritage Network.