Childerley Hall



  • Childerley, Cambridgeshire
  • Monument Number 1108334
  • Grade II Listed Building


Medieval moat, covering 26 acres.


*                                  Built by Sir John Cutts. The later Sir John Cutts added or rebuilt the chapel.

*                                  Once owned by Francis Benjamin Brooke Esq.

1180-1185                   Thomas of Childerley was tenant in demesne.

1194-1217                   Between: Thomas of Childerley was succeeded by his son, Henry of Childerley.

1220                            Henry was succeeded by John of Childerley.

1235                            John was known as Lord.

1238                            Lord John had died and was succeeded by his son, Henry, who was a minor.

1242                            Henry (1) held the Manor.

1302                            Henry’s son, Henry (2), held the Manor.

1316                            Henry’s  (2) son, John of Childerley, held the Manor.

1327                            John was Lord.

1339                            Held by Catherine of Childerley.

1349                            The Manor had passed to William of Childerley.

1355                            An intruding Chaplain was killed by William of Childerley.

1381                            William of Childerley died and his widow, and her second husband, Thomas Lockford held it.

1397                            Was ceded to William’s daughter, Katherine.

*                                  Katherine sold it to John Hoare.

1411                            Manor house gates mentioned.

1415                            John Hoare died and it was acquired by John Cutts.

1521                            Sir John Cutts died and left the manor to his widow, Elizabeth.

1524                            Elizabeth died and it went to her son, John.

1528                            John died and it passed to his son, John, who was a minor.

1547                            John was knighted.

1555                            John died and it went to his ten year old son, John.

1571                            John was knighted.

16 C                            Park and gardens created.

1610                            The Arms of Cutts and Brocket date from.

1615                            John died and his son, John, inherited.

1639                            The Hall was lived in.

1646                            John died and Anne, his widow, held it for their son, John.

1647                            6th–7th June: Charles I was held here for 13 days, where he met Cromwell face to face for the first time.

1655                            John held the Manor

1661                            John became a Baronet.

1670                            The house comprised of two storey’s, had 6 chambers plus 18-19 other rooms; altogether there were approximately 50 rooms. John Cutts died without issue. Executers for John Cutts sold the contents. The Manor went to his relative, Richard Cutts of Arkesden, Essex.

1679                            Just after: Richard died without issue and his younger brother, John held the estate.

1686                            John sold it to Felix Calvert.

1699                            Felix Calvert died and his son, William, inherited.

17 C                            Mid: The Park was extended.

1715                            William settled it upon his eldest son, Felix.

1730’s                         Felix had transferred it to his son, Nicholson.

1740’s                         Only the south wing remained after the rest of the house was demolished.

1789                            Nicholson settled it upon his brother Felix’s son, Nicholas Calvert.

*                                  Nicholas Calvert left it to his son, General Felix Calvert.

1842-1856                   The manor was offered for sale a number of times.

1850                            Restored by General Calvert.

1852                            The south wing was reconstructed. Two storied stair hall added to the north side. Two ranges of farm buildings added.

1856                            General Felix Calvert died and left it to his brother ESF Calvert.

1859                            Foreclosed by mortgagees.

1860                            Park reduced in size. Sold to Edward Burtenshaw-Sugden.

1875                            Edward died.

1888-1920                   Held by mortgagees who tenanted it out.

1897                            John Marshland Brooke was tenant for a while.

1916                            10th December: Arthur Goulburn Brooke, whose parents lived in the Hall, was killed in a flying accident at Gosport, Hampshire.

1920                            Sold to John Marshland Brooke.

1925-1929                   Between: Went to Francis Benjamin Brooke.

1957                            The moated gardens were restored and replanted. Francis sold it to Mr. JG Jenkins.

1985                            Still held by Mr. JG Jenkins.

20 C                            Hall.


error: Content is protected !!