Motte and Bailey. Motte measuring 1 acre on the top. The village defences formed by the outer defences of the castle.
1066 After: Built by Aubrey de Vere as his administrative centre
1265-1331 Work undertaken on the castle.
15th C Church was built partially over the bailey ditch. A tower of four storey’s was incorporated into the house.
15-16 C c: Motte demolished.
1526 An argument between the Dowager Countess and the new Earl resulted in the Justice of the Peace being turned away by a force of arms.
16 C House rebuilt.
1738 The house fell down and was replaced by a farmhouse.
1740’s Sir James Reynolds pulled down the gateway.
1744 Bones were dug up at the eastern part of the house and a blocked arch was discovered.
1978 Field Investigation.