Possible Saxon moated site.
Medieval fortified moated manor house, possible castle. Has an internal bank.
1017-1049 Held by Ely Abbey.
1043-1045 Held by Ulfketel.
1066 Owned by Eddeva.
1086 Held by Count Alan.
1166 Held by Thomas de Burgh.
1199 Thomas de Burgh died and his son Thomas succeeded.
1234 Thomas died and his brother, Philip, inherited.
1235 Philip died and it was held by his son, Thomas, a minor.
1260 Sir Thomas de Burgh held the Manor.
1284 Sir Thomas de Burgh died and his son, Philip, inherited.
1285 Philip died and his seven year old son, Thomas, inherited.
1311 Thomas was Knight of the Shire for Cambridgeshire.
1322 Thomas was succeeded by his son John.
1329 Before: John turned to religion and granted the Manor to his brother Thomas.
1334 Thomas died and his four year old son inherited. The Manor was held in custody by John de Verdon, under orders of the Crown.
1393 John de Burgh died and his son, Thomas, succeeded him.
1411 Thomas died and his lands were divided between his three half-sisters.
1412 The lands went to Elizabeth, who was married to Sir John Ingoldisthorpe.
1420 Sir John died and his son, Thomas, a minor, inherited.
1422 Thomas, the minor, died and his one year old son, Edmund, inherited. Wardship was granted to John, Lord Toptoft, and his daughter, Joan, married Edmund.
1456 Edmund died and his daughter, Isabel, wife of John Neville, Marquess of Montague, inherited.
1494 The lands were divided between Isabel’s five daughters. Elizabeth, wife of Thomas, Lord Scrope of Marsham inherited the Burrough green lands.. When Elizabeth died the lands were inherited by her niece, Lucy Brown, who was married to Sir John Cutts of Childerley.
1521 Sir John died and his son, John, inherited.
1528 John died and his son, John, inherited.
1574 John sold it to Sir Anthony Cage.
1575 Burrough Green Hall was built on the site possibly with parts of the old house incorporated into it.
1583 Sir Anthony Cage died and his son, Anthony, inherited.
1628 Sir Anthony died and his son, John, succeeded him.
1667 Sir John’s son, Anthony, was badly in debt from the Civil War and granted it to his daughter, Anne, bypassing his sons John and William. Anne was married to Henry Slingsby.
1665 Had 26 hearths a central porch and doorway.
1670 In ruins.
1690 Henry Slingsby died and left it to his wife, and then his son, Anthony.
1696 Anthony Slingsby mortgaged the lands to Edward Russel, later Earl of Oxford.
1727 Edward Russel died and it was bought by Charles Seymour, Duke of Somerset.
* Passed from Charles Seymour to Heneage Finch, Earl of Aylesford, when he married Charlotte Seymour’s daughter.
1812 Before: Sold to Thomas and Henry Redhead.
1815 Henry was Lord of the Manor.
1828 Thomas’ daughter, Elinor, married Charles Porcher of Cliffe.
1839 Thomas died and Elinor inherited.
1864 Elinor was Lady of the Manor.
1869 Passed to EL Kindersley.
1901 Kindersley added Porcher to his name.
1907 EL Kindersley-Porcher died and his son Capt. CPW Kindersley inherited.
1909 Sold to SA Taylor of Newmarket.
1913 Was for sale.
1925 Held by GRC Foster.
1938 Bought by RS Wray.
1958 Owned by Sir Alan Noble, MP.
1975 Owned by Miss.PK Wolf.