10000-4000 BC Dating from: Mesolithic finds.
1114 C Dating from: Pottery finds.
1180 Before: Manor held by William Avenel.
1195 c: Possibly held by Walter Avenel.
1217/18 Before: Walter was succeeded by Richard Avenel.
1229 Held by Sir William Avenel.
1237 Sir William Avenel died and was succeeded by his son, Robert, a minor.
1260 c: Sir Robert Avenel died.
1276 Held by John Avenel.
1279 John Avenel held a market in the town every Tuesday.
1289 Deer were stolen from the surrounding Deer Park.
1300 John Avenel was succeeded by his son, William.
1331 William Avenel died and was succeeded by his son, Sir John.
1359 Sir John Avenel died and his son, John, inherited.
1383 John Avenel died and his son, Robert, inherited.
1387 Robert died without issue and a dispute arose between Peter and Margaret Courtney, claiming inheritance from John Droxford, who was William’s wife’s uncle, and Sir Robert Bealknap, who claimed a grant was issued giving him ownership should his marriage produce no issue.
1388 The Crown leased the manor to William Joulet and David Russell, and the following month to Thomas, Duke of Gloucester.
1390 The Courtneys gained control of the manor and then granted it to trustees, who then granted it to Sir William Argentine, John Potton and Alexander Sawell.
1400 June: The above mentioned granted it to Sir Baldwin St. George.
1425 Si Baldwin St. George died and his widow held the manor for their son, John.
* John inherited.
* John’s son, William, held the manor.
1472 William died and his son, Sir Richard, held the manor.
1485 Sir Richard died and his son, Thomas, was a minor. The lands were held in trust by Thomas Rotherham, Archbishop of York.
1494 Thomas came of age and held the manor.
1540 Thomas died and his son, Francis, held the manor.
1561 Francis sold the manor and lands to Henry Brogrove.
* John Gill held the manor.
1599 John Gill sold it to Merton College.
1608 Leased out.
1807 The house is recorded as being old, built of timber, plastered and tiled, but in good condition.
1831 The lease had abandoned the house and it was in need of repair.
1844 The house still stood.
1967 Merton College still held the manor.
1971 Field Investigation.
1982 Field Investigation.
1983 Site leveled.