Iron Age hut circle settlement, Roman fortlet, town, defences, enclosing approximately 1.4 acres and extended to 4.9 acres and defended by a rampart and double ditch. The ditch system was separated by a 70 ft gap.
On the Fosse Way.
Had two phases of Iron Age construction.
Finds include a bronze bulls head, mule head.
1st C Constructed in a kite-shape.
1st-4th C Occupied.
2nd C Town grew on the site, and was surrounded by a stone wall – eventually.
3rd C Rebuilt in stone.
1950’s Aerial Photograph.
1952 Excavated by R. R. Inskeep.
1955-1956 Excavated by Ministry of Works.
1960 Excavated by Ministry of Works.
1972 Field Investigation.
1993-1994 Watching Brief by Trent and Peak Archaeological Trust.